Wednesday, October 14, 2009

For Theresa Foss


My prayers go out to the whole Foss family. To any of my friends in blog land, please add a prayer,thought, or just a place in your heart for this family. I did not know her , but often fear that some day this will be me or someone I am close to.

Animal Control Officer funeral services
Story by: Tina Detelj

Funeral services were held Tuesday for a Plainfield Animal Control Officer who fell and hit her head while responding to a call. Those who knew Theresa Foss remembered her as a selfless person who gave everything to helping animals.
Foss was really active in the community. She was a mother of three, a public servant, and a cheerleading coach.
People, from across the state, came to give a salute to a 17-year veteran.
"It shows that we are one big family. We support each other any way we can and we're there for each other," said Mark Ring of Waterbury Animal Control.
Among the pall bearers was Karen Stone who worked side-by-side with Foss.
The Plainfield animal control officer was hospitalized for a head injury September 29th after she fell responding to a call of an aggressive pit bull. She died last Thursday.
"It was shock pretty much at first hard to believe that one of our own could go down so easily," said Stone.
Foss is believed to be the first animal control officer to die in the line of duty. During the service, Foss was remembered by the police chief in Plainfield and by the cheerleaders she coached. One of her colleagues recalled something she always used to say; "save the drama for your mama."
"And I could just see Terri saying that to the girls. So it was touching," said Donna Duso of Groton Animal Control.
Fond memories filled the Lighthouse Church of God but in the shadow of sadness for the loss of this mother of three and public servant.
"We all tend to be like New Englanders our own little towns and Terri was the one who tried to pull us all together and I think that's what I"m gonna miss the most from her," said Duso.
A loss serving as a reminder of how dangerous their job can be.
"You never think getting knocked to the ground by a dog is gonna be the last thing you ever do it's just tough out there it really is and to see this happen is very sad," said Ring.
Foss was 47-years-old when she died.

4 comments:

  1. I wanted to share that Terry's son came across this blog today looking for his mom's Obituary. I am Terry's sister and he shared this with us today. It touched him and made him smile. For that means alot since god took his sunshine away with his mother. Our lives will never be the same and I just wanted to say thank you for keeping her memory as alive as we do each day. Barbara Cooper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every day is a miracle. Terry was a selfless woman with more love to give than anyone I have known. I am her sister-in-law and she is still impacting my life daily. Thank you for sharing this. Ellen Wichael.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just knowing that terry is still thought of by more then her family makes me so happy. I am so proud to say that Terry was my big sister and she was and still is loved. Dawn Wichael

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was good friends with David, and I only got to talk and visit with Terry once. I sat and talked with her for hours, she was a wonderful funny and caring person. The Foss family are always in my prayers and always will be.

    ReplyDelete