Saturday, October 3, 2009

What was the First Movie to Scare You?

trick or treat by you.

As you know from my last post I am looking froward to the release of the DVD Trick or Treat. This picture alone makes me want to see the movie. I am not positive where my fascination with horror films comes from but I think it may come from mom. She does not like all the gory films of today but she never missed an episode of the Gothic Soap Opera Dark Shadows. Now I was an infant when this show was almost over but it must have sunk in.


dark-shadows by you.

Today I remembered the first movie to ever scare me. Believe it or not I was 4 years old and it was a low budget, made for TV movie called Gargoyles.

gargoyles4 by you.

So now I know Why I like this guys movies so much.


Bruce Campbell

In Gargoyles the voice alone scared the socks off of me as a kid. I have now learned the movie won an Emmy for award winning monster costumes. Below is a taste of the movie from YouTube. Yes it is cheesy, but by making this discovery today look at all the money I saved on therapy.

Would love to get comments as to what was the first movie to ever scare you???



3 comments:

  1. I don't remember the 1st movie to scare me, but I remember TV that scared me as a wee lad.

    My folks would send me off to bed sometimes when a Night Gallery or Twilight Zone (in reruns) episode had potential to be too scarey for me. I would sneak down the hall and listen to the show they were watching - keeping out of sight.

    Man... much scarier for my imagination than actually seeing it, no doubt :)

    Most of the time horror movies with either just startle me or gross me out - but not "scare" me. I was disturbed by the documentary style of the original Blair Witch Project when it first came out in theaters, though I don't know if that would be considered a "horror" movie or not.

    The creepiness of it hit me on the drive home and stayed with me for a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cwn: Good Post, I liked dark shadows, and also night gallery was super scary...I still remember the "sin eater" episode...eeekkkk.
    There was this other one, I forget the name. I think Mariel Hemingway was guarding the gate to hell by looking out her window in this tower. For years after I'd get the creeps looking up at windows at night.
    Now, I don't get scared too much anymore. Well, walking down the streets of Chicago, but that's not a movie...hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last horror movie I can think of where an image stayed with me was Let the Right One In. Something about the way it was shot. Without giving the movie away, it is a scene where the young vampire girl finds her un-expecting dinner under a bridge. Before that I must admit the Shining got to me.

    P- Blair Witch Project was a lot of fun. I thought the great thing about Blair Witch was the hype before it came out. It convinced many people they were watching real footage. Twilight Zone and Night Galley are classics.

    AB- I use to like Night Gallery as well. Your right, the sin-eater was a creepy one that I forgot all about until now. I cannot recall the one with Mariel Hemingway, but the image sounds fascinating. Hope you do not walk the streets very late at night. If you do get a big dog, keeps the scary people away from me.

    ReplyDelete