Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Now another Animal to worry about


I can't explain how bothered I am by this. First off, two people got bite and second it was by a rabid squirrel. As I read the story, I realized not only did a citizen get bit but so did an Animal Control Officer. I have been bit on the hand by a squirrel more that once trying to get them out of fireplaces,cars,boats,gutters and way to many places to mention. Because they are consider a low risk rabid animal I never worried about rabies. Now I guess I have to concern myself, oh well at least I have taken the rabiesshots.
In many of my classes I have been told not to send in squirrels for rabies testing because it would over load the lab. Well guess what lab, since the next step in getting rabies is death I will be sending you any that bite someone.
I hope and pray for the Officer and the Citzen come out of this Ok.
IOWA CITY, Iowa - Two people have been bitten by a rabid squirrel in Iowa City Animal control officials say the squirrel was captured on Saturday after it bit a resident on the foot. Officials say the squirrel also bit an animal control officer. Officials say the animal control officer had been vaccinated for rabies and received a booster shot. The other person who was bitten went to a hospital but their status wasn't known on Tuesday. Officials say the animal tested positive for rabies at the Iowa Hygienic Laboratory. They say the animal was seen acting strangely, acting lethargic one moment and attacking the next.

1 comment:

  1. was seen acting strangely, acting lethargic one moment and attacking the next.

    The pretty much describes me on any random Sunday at work :)

    ReplyDelete