Monday, August 24, 2009

Sick Coyote




This poor guy was found today by the other officer I work with. The coyote was sick and could not eat anymore. We work close with wildlife rehabs but this poor guy was past the point to be able to help. It is hard to tell in the picture, but he is mostly bones.
I have always been impressed with the coyotes ability to survive and adopt to its surroundings in the wild,and even in a metropolitan area.
Most of the wildlife with which we share our cities is very adaptable – as is the coyote. They are one of the most adaptable species on the planet. Because they eat a variety of foods which are abundant in our cities, and are opportunistic, they find more then enough food in our cities.



3 comments:

  1. Pics turned out good!

    Now if I ever get time to edit video, I can see if anthing turned out worth a crap. Maybe later this week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, Poor little Guy! I hope his remaining time on earth is not too unpleasant. I know Coyote's are very adaptable. There was one, in Chicago last year I think that made it's way into a sandwich shop Downtown, believe it or not, people got footage of it and it ended up on the news, probably on youtube somewhere!
    Thanks for helping the animals, they need to be looked after sometimes. PS: Your doggie is very handsome and looks smart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P- Thanks, looking foward to the hat-cam. Really hope it came out on film.

    AB- speaking of Chicago. One of the best studies done on Coyotes was done in Chicago a few years ago. It was proven by the study that Coyotes live longer in a major City than they do in the wild. One of the reasons is due to a good food source and many places to hide.
    Coyotes are one of my favorite Animals. I guess it comes from my love of dogs and seeing where they came from.

    ReplyDelete